Wednesday 13 July 2011

Being inspired

I started reading The Lord of the Rings again today.  Last time I read it only up to the second-to-last chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring.  This morning I picked up where I left off last time.  And Tolkien blows my mind.  Every.  Single.  Time.

I think any writer who has a block or who is not inspired to write should read LOTR.  It is by far the best-written, most inspired, best thought through, involved, in-depth (add more words of awe) book that exists.  Ever.  I know I might be a bit biased, but Tolkien is the most awesomest writer ever.  And I am not saying this just because I have read LOTR and maybe The Hobbit.  I have also read his Tales of a Perilous Realm and The Silmarillion and have The Book of Lost Tales is on my reading list.

This morning I *nearly* put down LOTR to go on writing my own story!  That is the power of inspiration.  I can't wait to finish work so that I can go on writing.  Or to continue reading.  Now, there is a bit of a problem...  How do I choose between reading the most awesome novel in the history of novels and writing my own?

Lucky for me my latest WiP is not a fantasy (at the moment *holds thumbs*).  I can't be too heabily influenced by the story line of LOTR.  And it is not really the story line that inspires me, I know that far too well by now.  What inspires me is the absolute unrelenting quality of the writing.  The flawless editing.  The years of love and lore that went into creating a masterpiece.

I am inspired to write.  I will write.  As soon as I can rip myself away from reading!

What about you?  What inspires you to write?  Who is your favourite author and how does his/her work influence your own?

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have found one of your go-to books. Every time you get stuck or bored with your WIP, you should go back LOTR. The more you read it (as you already know, I'm sure), the more you'll notice: the use of setting, detail, character, dialogue, etc.

    This is how I use The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I re-read it constantly. =)

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several favorite authors: Patricia C Wrede, Patricia A McKillip, Robin McKinely and Lloyd Alexander to name a few.

    I get inspired by lots of things. Reading, a dream, musings. When I read a good book it gets my creative juices running which helps me write.

    I think the big thing is I tell myself - I can write (almost) thos good. Then I hunger to see my name in print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like Tolkien. The Silmarillion has some of my favorite tales for sure. I love the story of how Ungoliante and Melkor fought and he sicked the balrogs after him...what a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss GOP, is seems like you're right. I enjoy being able to compare what I write with Tolkien's work.

    Krista, I agree. I also think I can write just as well as other (published) authors. Sometimes I think I live in a fool's paradise...

    Michael, yes Silmarillion is awesome. LOTR is still my favourite, though. Will always be :)

    ReplyDelete