Friday 17 June 2011

I know!

Firstly, I want to apologise for my patchy blogging this week.  It was a hectic one.

I know what I want to do!  A big thank you goes out to Misha for helping me figure this out and think it through.  Thanks, my friend.  You're the best there is.

So now that I know what I want to write (although I'm not telling yet), I just need to start again.  This is harder than I expected.  I have to think up almost whole new characters.  At least this time I decided to have only one Main Character.  Last time I had two (that I know of).  It should make it a bit easier to focus on only one character and her experiences.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  We'll see.

One more thing I need to decide on: who is my target audience?  I can write this story for YA, but then I will feel inclined to soften some of the scenes somewhat.  In other words, instead of my MC being a rape victim, she might be a forced labourer.  These aren't really major things that will change the essence of my story too much but it certainly will have an effect on where the story goes.  It's the Butterfly Effect - I never know what the concequences of my actions are going to be.

Let us start again.  There is nothing new in this world but I have a good feeling about my story.  It seems new, fresh.  You will remember that I complained about the recycled nature of my previous WiP.  I have no such qualms with this one.  I am excited.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you found your Shiny New Idea!
    :-)


    Just a small not. You won't need to soften anything for the YA audience. They're tougher than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, Misha. I said "inclined". You know me. I know they are tough, we all are/were tough. But I will always feel inclined to soften.

    ReplyDelete